Kids in the Kitchen
Submit your recipe and you could be highlighted in one of our issues!
It is important that kids learn to choose healthy options at a young age to create positive habits for a lifetime. What better way than to create their own masterpiece filled with key healthy ingredients? Let the most delicious, nutritious recipe win!
Kids 14 and younger are encouraged to submit their own original recipes. Fruits, veggies, lean protein, whole grains, and low-fat dairy are sure to make your dish outstanding. Recipes will be judged based on taste, creativity, originality and healthful ingredients.
The winner will be contacted mid-month and will be featured in Roanoke Valley Family Magazine with a photo, PLUS will receive a $25 Kroger Gift Card. Pay attention to deadlines for upcoming months’ issues and recipe themes.
Age group: 14 years of age or younger
Rules for Healthy Recipe Submissions
- Participants must be 14 years old or under and a resident of the Roanoke Valley (i.e. within a 60-mile radius of Roanoke City).
- All submissions must include the participant’s name and parent name(s), phone number, email address and zip code.
- All submissions must include a copy of the recipe (ingredients and instructions) and a picture of the contestant with his/her completed dish.
- Recipes must be original. Any recipe that is taken from a website, chef or cookbook will be disqualified (Kraft, allrecipes.com, etc.).
- The submitted recipes must pertain to a recipe theme to qualify.
- Recipes must contain a minimum of five (5) ingredients.
- All contestants must use fruits OR vegetables in their recipe. At least one type of fruit or vegetable must be included.
- Any recipes that contain broth, spices or sauces must use reduced-sodium options.
- Any recipes that contain dairy or sauces must use reduced-fat options.
- Any recipes that contain pasta or bread must use whole grain or whole wheat products.
- Any recipes that contain rice must use brown rice.