Snow Day Fun!
January 21, 2016//Things to Do
Top 10 Snow Day Movies
- Home Alone
- Join 8 year old Kevin McCallister as he fights off burglars Marv and Harry after being accidentally left behind by his family.
- Relax and revisit Anna as she tries to find her sister, Elsa, and save their kingdom, Arendelle, from an eternal winter.
- Ice Age
- This classic follows Manny, Sid, Diego, and Scrat as they migrate south to try and avoid the incoming ice age.
- Join the orphaned Hugo Cabret as he sets off with his new friend Isabelle to figure out the mystery of the broken automaton his late father left him.
- The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
- This classic tale by C.S. Lewis follows the four Pevensie children, Peter, Edmund, Susan, and Lucy, when they discover a magical world called Narnia.
- Polar Express
- Based on the popular children’s book by Chris Van Allsburg, this holiday special is perfect for a snow day!
- Based on Grand Duchess Anastasia Nikolaevna, this Disney version is much more heart warming.
- Happy Feet
- Join Mumble, a young emperor penguin lacking a singing voice, as he uses his dance moves to attract his female partner.
- Little Women
- This star-studded adaptation to Louisa May Alcott’s classic follows the March family as the four daughters grow up and find themselves.
- Mr. Popper’s Penguins
- This comedy follows wealthy real estate developer Mr. Popper as he receives five penguins from his late father.
10 Fun Snow Day Activities
- As Princess Anna sings, “Do you want to build a snowman?” This is a classic way to play in the snow where you can get as creative as you want!
- Treasure hunt! Using candy or emergency-purpose toys, hide them throughout the house and send your kids off on an adventure! This can be as simple or intricate as you desire, including riddles, a treasure map, or a list of simple hints.
- Just dance! Break out the CDs or Pandora and set up a dance party.
- Storytelling: cuddle up with some warm blankets and read books or create your own stories.
- Snow Graffiti: get some spray bottles and fill them up with water and some food coloring. Take it outside and paint picture in the snow.
- Baking is always a fun option! Whether you make snow ice cream or snowflake shaped sugar cookies, add some hot chocolate and snuggle up for a movie marathon.
- Family game day! Break out the card and board games from the closet and get your game on! Another option is playing with your electronics, Wii Sports and Just Dance are always fun, too.
- Have an indoor picnic. Set up a blanket fort and bring the sandwiches and soup in for some close family time.
- Get crafty: you could doing coloring pages, finger paint, or make snowflake decorations!
- Dreaming of the beach? Pull out the beach toys and build a snow castle!